This course is designed to give you a solid foundation on which you can begin your career as a pharmacy assistant. Learners will develop medical knowledge to recognise common ailments and the skills necessary to assist with issues in the retail pharmacy sector. Learners will also complete cosmetic studies to assist with the informing and applying of beauty and make-up products.
- Medical Terminology
- Medicines Counter Assistant
- Cosmetic Studies
- Retail Selling
- Reception and Frontline Skills
- Safety and Health at Work
- Customer Service
- Work Experience
- Infection Prevention & Control
- Word Processing
- First Aid
IPU Medicines Counter Assistant Certificate
All our Level 5 PLC courses are open to school leavers (Leaving Cert/ Leaving Cert Applied Students/A Levels/GCSE or equivalent), QQI Level 4 graduates and mature applicants. A QQI Level 5 award is a prerequisite to access a Level 6 programme.
Progression To Degrees
Graduates can progress to a variety of degree programmes including:
AIT | Pharmaceutical Sciences | Level 8
DkIT | Pharmaceutical Science | Level 7
TU Dublin/LyIT/IT Carlow | Pharmacy Technician Studies | Level 6
GMIT | Applied Biology and Biopharmaceutical Science | Level 8
AIT | Pharmaceutical Sciences (Drug Development & Analysis) | Level 7
Sligo IT | Pharmaceutical Science with Drug Development | Level 8
Graduates progress to employment in various roles including:
Medical Counter Assistant | Pharmacy Store Manager | Medical Secretary | Pharmacy Health Care Adviser | Health Store Adviser | Department Stores – Cosmetic Sales | Medical Sales Assistant
Earn up to €25,000 as a pharmacy assistant
2020-21 Course Fees
Note - Some courses may require the learner to purchase relevant industry-specific material for their own use which may not be included in the list of course fees.
€30 of Enrolment Fees are Non-Refundable. All fees subject to change.
The following categories of participant are exempt from paying the PLC Government Levy:
- Medical Card/SUSI Grant/Back to Education Allowance Holders may be exempted from PLC Government Levy. Documentary Evidence must be presented immediately to avail of such exemptions.
- Medical Card/Back to Education Allowance Holders may be exempted from QQI Exam Fees. Documentary Evidence must be presented immediately to avail of such exemptions.